The Canadian Red Ensign

The Canadian Red Ensign

Friday, May 7, 2010

Greetings and Welcome

Greetings and welcome.  For years I have had friends tell me that I should start a blog.  To which I have always replied with some variation of "Yeah, I intend to one of these days".  I guess that day has finally arrived.

Introductions are in order, should someone happen to come across this blog who does not know me either in real life or through Free Dominion.  My name is Gerry T. Neal and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  I majored in theology in college/seminary and theology remains one of my interests to this day, alongside classical literature and music, history, philosophy, and, as you may have surmised from the title of this blog, politics.

Most of what I post here will be political and social commentary.  I wear my political biases on my sleeve, so I will lay them out front for you.  I am a Tory, not in the sense of a supporter of the Conservative Party, but in the sense of someone who believes in a traditional, prescriptive, moral, political and social order, led by the institutions of the monarchy and church.  Yes, I am aware that that order has long been overthrown by the revolutionary forces of progress unleashed by the Enlightenment Project.  I suppose I am also a libertarian of sorts.  While I find the individualist philosophy of classical liberalism to be silly and insipid, I am in full agreement with the general idea of libertarianism that the government should butt out of our everyday lives unless we are about to do serious harm to one another.   Finally, I am a patriotic Canadian and a Protestant Christian.

My first post, after this introductory post, will be to my essay "The Divine Right of Kings versus the Tyranny of the People", just written yesterday.  I have a number of essays that I have written over the course of the last year or so, and made available to my friends through private e-mail and Facebook.  New ones will also be posted here and I will probably get around to posting most of the older ones as well.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment